Tuesday, August 26, 2014

I Was Afraid - No Love

No Love cover art
From: Little Rock, Arkansas
Genre: Emo / Alternative / Gloom Rock

Tracklist:
1. Carve
2. Strange Ceilings
3. Room
4. Sway
5. No Love
6. Care
7. Gifted
8. Arrowhead

Download

The sudden resurgence of modern pop-punk bands doing 90's  emo-grunge (or as they so accurately describe it 'Gloom Rock') has been really hit-or-miss with me. A ton of bands are doing it, and a bunch of them just miss the mark. That being said, I Was Afraid's "No Love" ended up being one of my favorite releases of 2013.
   They aren't as crisp and produced as some of the bands spearheading the genre like Basement and Superheaven, and I like that. It adds a more sincere tone to the record that I find lot of bands in the emo genre lack. The heavy reverb spread across the 8 tracks adds to the guitar grooves in a way that make you feel as if you're drifting in and out of sleep on a somber, rainy weekend morning (ex: Sway). The transition between shouted and near-whispered vocals isn't a new concept, but IWA does have a firm grasp on how to do it well. (ex: Room). The record is short enough that there generally isn't any filler, which is a bonus. All in all, this was a good record that I personally gave many well deserved plays. "I just want to share my disease.
So you can feel like me.
So you feel weak
like me.

I'll see you in my sleep
Where I can breath.
Where nothing means anything.

I'm so tired. I'm worn out.
Basking in the light of my phone screen's glow
I know that I'm alone.

I just want to share my disease."

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting about us man! We'll be putting out a new release this upcoming fall. I think you'll like all these new songs more than the songs on No Love. We've gotten more of a grasp on our own sound now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem dude. The post you saw before was actually just a draft I hadn't realized got posted, so I re-wrote the whole thing. I'm excited to hear some new stuff from you guys.

      Delete